ALPHA Plus meter
The ALPHA Plus® meter is a totally electronic single phase or polyphase electricity meter and integral register that collects, processes, and stores energy use and demand data on either a single rate or time of use (TOU) basis. It meets or exceeds the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards for electricity metering and is certified for use by industrial and electric utility customers. It has been certified for direct access use in California.
ALPHA Plus is the first meter in its class that can time/date/phase stamp voltage sags as short as 2 line cycles in duration. An internal log maintains this information for the last 40 sags.
ALPHA Plus meters support metering requirements ranging from kWh and kW demand meter to multi-rate, real/reactive meter that automatically validates service connections, provides instrumentation readings and load profile readings with remote communications. ALPHA Plus meters are available in a variety of configurations to meet your revenue metering requirements. The meters also offer a PQM (power quality monitoring) option. This feature helps isolate the cause of transients, harmonics and sags. PQM monitors circuit parameters on a cyclic, 24-hour basis throughout the billing period and recognizes deviations beyond the programmed threshold for each phase.
Instrumentation on the ALPHA Plus meter are display quantities that assists in evaluating the service by providing real time analysis of the conditions present at the meter installation. The instrumentation measurements are near instantaneous and require no memory storage within the meter. Using Elster meter support software, system instrumentation may be configured to select which quantities to display as well as the display sequence where they will be shown.
|Standard features||Advanced features||Options||Standards compliance|
The ALPHA Plus meter comes with many options that make it a powerful meter:
- fully programmable
- pre-programmed at the factory
- wide operating ranges for voltage, current, and temperature
- per phase values for kW, kVA or kVAR, voltage & voltage angle, current & current angle, and power factor & power factor angle
- Up to 4 rate periods for TOU meters
- average power factor
- high accuracy internal clock
- polycarbonate enclosure
- easily upgradeable through Alpha Keys
There are advanced options that are available. All of these are part of the main meter board:
- load profile with up to 4 channels
- power quality monitoring
- transformer and line loss compensation
- 4-quadrant metering
The following option boards are available for the ALPHA Plus meter:
- relay output option board
1, 2, or 6 relays for relay output, end of internal (EOI), or load control (LC) uses
- internal telephone modem option board
Outage reporting capabilities, off-hook detection, and intrusion detection
- external serial communications option board
Interface to external telephone modems, modem sharing unit (MSU-12), EMETCOM, and others
- RS-232 option board*
Point-to-point communication (up to 25 feet/7.5 meters) to a PC, external telephone modem, EMETCOM, and others.
- RS-485 option board*
Connect up to 31 meters sharing one communication backbone.
- 20 mA current loop option board
Interface to PCs or other communication systems on a 20 mA current loop
*Not available on dedicated single phase, 240 V ALPHA Plus meters.
The ALPHA Plus meter meets or exceeds the ANSI standards for electricity metering, and it is intended for use by commercial and industrial utility customers.
- C12.1 - 1995: American National Standard for Electric Meters - Code for Electricity Metering
- C12.10 - 1997: Electroemchanical Watthour Meters
- C12.20 - 1998: American National Standard for Electricity Meters 0.2 and 0.5 Accuracy Classes
For more information:
- ALPHA Plus data sheet Download (pdf) 445 KB
- ITM3 option board data sheet Download (pdf) 806 KB